Archive: 16th Annual NVJFF
16th Annual Northern Virginia Jewish Film Festival
April 7-17, 2016
The 16th annual Northern Virginia Jewish Film Festival, powered by the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia (the J), presented 14 feature films/23 screenings over 11 days. Our presenting partner and festival home for the fourth year was Angelika Film Center & Café at Mosaic in Fairfax. Thirteen preview events were held at the J (Cinematheque Israel), Agudas Achim Congregation, Beth El Hebrew Congregation, Congregation Adat Reyim, five J Adult Services outreach sites, and Reston Community Center, for a total of 36 festival screenings.
- A Blind Hero: The Love of Otto Weidt | Directed by Kai Bhristiansen | Germany | 2014 | 90 minutes | German with English subtitles | Documentary with re-enactments. Distributor: 7th Art Releasing.
- À la Vie (To Life) | Directed by Jean-Jacques Zilbermann | France | 2014 | 104 minutes | French with English subtitles | Light-hearted Drama. Distributor: Breaking Glass Pictures
- Belle and Sebastian | Directed by Nicolas Vanier | France | 2014 | 92 minutes | French with English subtitles | Feature/Family. Distributor: Film Movement
Bulgarian Rhapsody | Directed by Ivan Nitchev | Bulgaria | 2014 | 108 Minutes | Bulgarian/German/Ladino with English subtitles | Drama. Distributor: Israeli Films
- Dough | Directed by Josh Goldschmidt | United Kingdom, Hungary | 2015 | 94 minutes | Comedy. (Opening Night) Program hosted by Ken Krupsky of Jewish National Fund, plus an exclusive pre-recorded interview with Adam Ziv and Alaa Sawitat from the Arab town of Tarshiha in Northern Israel. Distributor: Menemsha Films
- In Search of Israeli Cuisine | Directed by Roger Sherman | USA | 2016 | 97 minutes | Documentary/Food. Distributor: Menemsha Films
- Laugh Lines | Directed by Pini Eden | Israel | 2015 | 94 minutes | Hebrew with English subtitles | Comedy/Drama. Distributor: Pini Eden
- Raise the Roof | Directed by Yari and Cary Wolinsky | USA/Poland | 2015 | 85 minutes | Documentary. Program with Ori Z. Soltes. Ori teaches theology, philosophy and art history at Georgetown University. Distributor: The National Center for Jewish Film
- Rosenwald | Directed by Aviva Kempner | USA | 2015 | 100 minutes | Documentary/Social Justice. Program with LaNitra M. Berger, PhD, a historian of African and African-American art. LaNitra is director of fellowships and faculty in the Honors College at George Mason University. Distributor: The National Center for Jewish Film
- Sabena Hijacking – My Version | Directed by Rani Saar | Israel | 2015 | 98 minutes | Hebrew and English with subtitles | Docu-drama. Program with Adam Harmon, who speaks frankly about current events in the Middle East. Plus program at 2nd screening with Hadas Barak, Director of Israeli House and Na’ama Gold, JCCNV–JAFI Shiri Rahamim Shlichut Program. Think and Drink following the screening; conversation with Eric Rozenman, Washington director of CAMERA (Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America. Distributor: Go2Films
- Suicide (Hitabdut) | Directed by Benny Ferdman | Israel | 2014 | 132 Minutes | Hebrew with English subtitles | Action Thriller. Distributor: Shachar Zefania
- Time to Say Goodbye (Simon sagt 'Auf Wiedersehen' zu seiner Vorhaut) | Directed by Viviane Andereggen | Germany | 2015 | 82 minutes | German with English subtitles | Comedy. Distributor: 7th Art Releasing
- To Life(Auf das Leben) | Directed by Uwe Janson | Germany | 2016 | 86 minutes | German with English subtitles | Drama. Distributor: Menemsha Films
- Wedding Doll (Hatuna MeNiyar) | Directed by Nitzan Giladi | Israel | 2015 | 82 minutes | Hebrew with English subtitles | Drama. Program hosted by ReelAbilities Film Festival. Lindsey Nebeker starred with her husband Dave Hamrick in the PBS documentary Autism in Love. Distributor: Outsider Films
- Cinematheque Israel at the J | An ongoing film and discussion series about shifting perspectives on Israeli life. Led by Na’ama Gold, JCCNV–JAFI Shiri Rahamim Shlichut Program.
Manpower | Directed by Noam Kaplan | Israel | 2014 | 88 minutes | English, Hebrew, Igbo with English subtitles | Feature/Drama. Distributor: Menemsha Films
- The Women/Pioneers | Directed by Michal Aviad | Israel | 2013 | 52 minutes | Hebrew with English subtitles | Documentary
- Undressing Israel: Gay Men in the Promised Land | Co-Directed by Michael Lucas & Yariv Mozer | Israel | 2012 | 46 minutes | Documentary
NVJFF Screening Sponsors | Anita & Steve Dienstfrey | Tamara & Ed Faggen | Dara & Joshua Greene | Janet & Murray Horwitz | Israeli House | Jewish Food Experience, a program of The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington | Richard Oppenheim, Atlantic Settlement Group, LLC | Judie Weiss. NVJFF Directors & Synagogue Sponsors | Congregation Adat Reyim | Northern Virginia Hebrew Congregation | Temple B’nai Shalom | Temple Rodef Shalom
NVJFF 2016 Committee Members | Ronnie Oppenheim, & Steve Dienstfrey, Co-Chairs | Anita Dienstfrey | Joan Erlich | Lorraine Fischer | Sidney Formal | Na’ama Gold | Audrey Goldstein | Marcia Gordon | Joshua Greene | Janet Horwitz | Enid Liess | Lilianne Milgrom | Sigi Saadia | BJ Shiff | Judie Weiss | Dan Kirsch, JCCNV Cultural Arts Director & NVJFF Festival Director | Anton Merbaum, JCCNV Arts Engagement Coordinator
NVJFF 2016 Raffle | Special thanks to these businesses and organizations for their support. Mosaic District | Ah Love Oil & Vinegar Angelika Film Center & Café | Artisan Confections | Cava Grill | DGS Delicatessen | Four Sisters Vietnamese Restaurant | Le Pain Quotidien | Requin | Sea Pearl Restaurant | Sisters Thai | Ted's Bulletin | True Food Kitchen. Performing Arts | 1st Stage Tysons | Creative Caldron | The Hub Theatre | JCCNV 2016-2017 Performing Arts | ReelAbilities Film Festival, powered by the J | Signature Theatre | Workhouse Arts Center. Merrifield & Northern Virginia | Blackfinn Ameripub | Dickey's Barbecue Pit | Jaleo | Lebanese Taverna | Hand thrown stoneware espresso cups by Lilianne Milgrom.
2015-2016 Fall & Winter Programs
Blue Like Me: The Art of Siona Benjamin | A J Performing Arts Series/Blue Like Me event. With guests Siona Benjamin, Ryan Arey and Ori Soltes
It’s All About Friends | Hosted by Beth El Hebrew Congregation Inclusion Committee. In partnership with ReelAbilities Film Festival, powered by the JCCNV
Judy Berlin | A special showing of Madeline Kahn’s last film prior to a talk by William V. Madison, author of Madeline Kahn: Being the Music – A Life.
Above and Beyond | In partnership with Northern Virginia Jewish Film Festival, the J’s Adult Services Department and Project Welcome Home. Program with Bruce Lichtman, retired U.S. Air Force Lieutenant Colonel, son of Gideon Lichtman, a volunteer pilot for Israel.
The Sturgeon Queens | A JCCNV Adult Services Department Event, in partnership with Northern Virginia Jewish Film Festival. Guest Speaker: Julie Cohen, Director & Producer
Yentl | A J Fest Event in partnership with the Northern Virginia Jewish Film Festival
Marrying An Ice Cream Factory | The Art of Jewish Food event