The health and safety of our participants, staff, and community have always been our highest priority. Holding close our Jewish values of Pikuah Nefesh (safeguarding life) and Kol Yisrael Areivim Zeh Bazeh(we are responsible for each other), and with expert guidance from the American Camp Association (ACA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Governor Northam’s guidelines on the State’s phased reopening, the Board and staff made the difficult decision that running an in-person summer camp program in our facility would not be possible this summer. Our camp families have already been notified of this decision in a separate letter.
We are continuing to explore ways of engaging our families that will provide a safe environment for our campers, families, and staff while still following the social distancing and other guidelines set forth by Federal, State, and local authorities.
Camp Achva at the Pozez JCC of Northern Virginia provides fun and formative summer experiences for school-age children from grades K–12. Entering its 51st summer, Camp Achva is the premier Jewish day camp in Northern Virginia. As a traditional day camp model, our vision is to create a safe space for campers and staff to learn and grow through building relationships with one another, engaging in meaningful programming, and embracing old and new camp traditions infused with Jewish culture.
Through daily scheduling, field trips, special events, and leadership opportunities, campers from our youngest to our oldest units will look forward to augmented programming each year until they reach LIT-status (Leaders-in-Training), and ultimately join our staff.
1. They fill up quickly — register early to ensure your child’s space is reserved.
2. Campers are encouraged to sign up for multiple sessions in order to maximize their camp experiences and build relationships with other campers and staff.
3. The camp day, unless otherwise noted, runs from 9am to 4pm. We start our day with mifkad (an all-camp gathering to get the energy flowing with dancing, daily announcements, Hebrew-word-of-the-day, etc.) and end our day with carpool.
4. Before- and After-Camp Care is available as an add-on between 7:30am–9am and 4pm–6pm.
5. Campers should come to camp every day with a bagged nut-free, meatless lunch (i.e. dairy or vegetarian) unless registered for camp lunch.
6. All campers are required to wear sneakers and bring a reusable water bottle that they can fill throughout the day, every day.
7. All campers are required to bring a bathing suit, towel, goggles, and a change of clothes to camp each day.
We support the inclusion of all children in camp, regardless of one’s physical, social or emotional needs. Camp is a place to learn, grow, and have fun! If your child needs additional support to ensure a successful summer in Camp Achva, we can arrange for an Inclusion Support Staff (Shadow) at an additional cost.
Priority will be given to campers who register by May 9 for either the full summer or a 4-week session. We look forward to supporting you and your child for a successful and fun-filled summer!
Main Office: 703.537.3092, CampAchva@theJ.org
Camp Achva Assistant Director: Anat Litwok, 703.537.3041
Kadima Director • Special Needs Director: Jessica Tischler, 703.537.3031
Billing and Accounts Manager: Adi Eilat Crowley, 703.537.3077